Carryout Bag Reduction
Locally made reusable shopping bag project
To help support local jobs and to help residents get in the habit of bringing their own bag, the Sonoma County Waste Management Agency has contracted with BPE-USA , Santa Rosa, to produce 10,000 reusable shopping bags. Bags are made from locally sourced overstock materials.
Take your bag along to the store.
To address the growing problem of carryout bag waste, on February 19, 2014 the cities and the County members of the Sonoma County Waste Management Agency passed Ordinance No. 2014-2 Establishing a Waste Reduction Program for Carryout Bags (PDF: 33 kB) and a related administrative penalties ordinance. (PDF: 39 kB).If you are a grocery store or retail establishment subject to the ordinance, visit the Business Carryout Bags Ordinance page.
What shoppers need to know about the ordinance:
- Beginning September 1, 2014, single-use plastic bags will no longer be available at all grocery and retail stores in Sonoma County.
- Stores must charge a minimum of 10¢ for each paper bag.
- The Waste Reduction Program for Carryout Bags Ordinance (PDF: 33 kB) is intended to reduce litter, keep plastic bagas out of local waterways, and encourage the use of reusable bags.
What's excluded from the ordinance:
- Bags used for produce, bulk foods and meats, bags used to hold prescription medications from a pharmacy, and bags used to segregate food or merchandise from each other.
Tips for remembering your bag when shopping
- Put your bags where you will use them, such as in the car, on the doorknob, in your purse or backpack.
- Is your bag in your cart or basket? As you enter a store make sure you have a bag. If you forgot, make the effort to go back and get it.
- Get bags that match your style. You’ll use your bags more if you enjoy them.
- Put your kids in charge of remembering.
Historic use of plastic bags
- 18.2 billion estimated 2008 California plastic carryout bag use. In 2008, the US EPA estimated the plastic bag recover rate at 9.8%.
- 232 million estimated 2008 Sonoma County plastic bag use--that’s 1.3 plastic bags per Sonoma County resident per day.
Historic use of paper bags
- 3.6 billion estimated 2008 California paper carryout bag use. In 2008, the US EPA estimated the paper bag recover rate at 37.6%.
- 46 million estimated 2008 Sonoma County paper bag use--that's .25 paper bags per Sonoma County resident per day.
2.12 Estimated number of times these Sonoma County bags would wrap around the Earth’s equator each year if arranged side-by-side
To help you get in the habit of using reusable bags when shopping, Agency bags will be available at the following events. A $1 donation is requested for locally-made fabric bags (bag photo on the left) and a 50¢ donation is requested for recycled reusable plastic bags (bag photo on the right). A variety of colors are available. While supplies last.
|July 24-31||Santa Rosa||Sonoma County Fair (in the Grace Pavilion)||11am - 10pm|
|August 1-10||Santa Rosa||Sonoma County Fair (in the Grace Pavilion)||11am - 10pm|
|September 6||Cloverdale||20th Annual Cloverdale Car and Motorcycle Show||10am - 3pm|
|September 13||Santa Rosa||Mexican Independence Day Celebration at the Wells Fargo Center||1pm - 6pm|
|September 14||Sonoma||Mexican Independence Celebration, Sonoma Plaza||11am - 5pm|
|October 2||Petaluma||Petaluma Business Expo||4pm - 7pm|
|October 5||Windsor||Binational Health Week Event
Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church
8400 Old Redwood Hwy
|1pm - 3pm|
|October 5||Glen Ellen||Beauty Ranch Sustainability Farm Festival
Jack London State Park
|10:30pm - 4pm|
|October 6||Rohnert Park||Rohnert Park Community Health and Safety Fair||10am - 2pm|
|October 11||Sonoma||Sonoma Valley Health Fair||11am - 4pm|
|October 12||Guerneville||Guerneville Health Fair
Guerneville School District
14630 Armstrong Wood Road, Guerneville
|1pm – 4pm|
|October 19||Cloverdale||Cloverdale Health Fair||1:30pm - 4:30pm|
|October 19||Santa Rosa||Santa Rosa Health Fair
Resurrection Catholic Church (Community Room)
303 Stony Point Rd, Santa Rosa
|1pm - 4pm|
|October 26||Sonoma||Halloween Carnival at el Verano School in Sonoma||12pm – 4pm|
|November 1||Santa Rosa||End of the Harvest Fair||10am-3pm|
|November 15||Santa Rosa||Santa Rosa Health Fair organized by Radio Lazer, Kaiser Permanente, CHP and the DMV||12pm-4pm|