- Common examples of toxics
- Household Toxics Facility
- Community Toxics Collections
- Toxics Rover Pickup
- Business toxics disposal
- Fluorescent lamps/CFLs
- Household batteries
- Mercury thermostats
- Treated wood
Motor Oil/Filter Drop-off
Resources for used oil & filter recycling
Recycling Guide Used Oil & Filter Drop-off Location pages (PDF: 139 kB)
Reciclaje de aceite usado y filtros (PDF: 146 kB)
How to use oil collection centers:
Place your motor oil in a sealable container. Make sure the oil is not mixed with any other fluids. Some businesses offer a 40¢ per gallon rebate for used motor oil.
- Collection centers typically accept no more than 5 gallons of used motor oil and 2 filters at one time.
- One or two oil filters are usually accepted for free, though some locations charge up to $3.
- Antifreeze fees range from $1.50 to $3/gallon. Visit collection centers during business hours.
Are you a do-it-yourself oil changer?
Do you change your own motor oil? A 10¢ tax is charged for each quart of motor oil sold in California. You can redeem this money by taking your motor oil to a California Certified used oil collection center
The following lists all drop-off locations in Sonoma County, including California Certified used oil collection centers:
Find a Drop-off Location
Visit collection centers during business hours. Leaving oil or any other substance after hours is illegal, punishable by imprisonment or a fine up to $10,000.
At no additional cost for residential garbage company customers, most jurisdictions conveniently offer curbside motor oil and filter collection.